Laurie Thomas is well recognized leader in South Florida and has played a major role in the development of female soccer players, spanding over a decade in the Parkland and Coral Springs area. She has played a major role in the development of many of this areas top female players.
Laurie Thomas currently holds her United States Soccer Federation (USSF) 'A' coaching license. She attended Florida International University where she played soccer and graduated with a Bachelor Degree in International Relations and Biology. Coach Laurie has several coaching education licenses, including most recent USSF Talent Identification Scout License, and USSF 'A' license. She has experience with working with some of the best female players throughout the country in attending all the major showcases to scout top female talent in the country.
As Director of Club Development, Laurie manages and oversees all aspects of club administration, relationships with key partners marketing and public relations. A critical component of Laurie's duties is establishing and executing the club's objectives for ensuring Spring Soccer Club is always the club-of-choice for long-term youth player development.
Get to Know Your Coach
Where are you from?
What city do you live in currently?
How long have you lived in the south Florida area?
What school did you graduate from?
- Florida International University (FIU) Miami
What was your field of study? Major: International Relations and Biology
Best playing memory?
- Playing with my younger sister, Danielle, on our high school team. She played a fantastic diagonal pass from the midfield to the final third and I took a first time shot with my left foot and scored the game-winning goal; to advance the team into the State Finals! It was awesome to play with my sister…. she went on to play for the College of Charleston and we ended up competing against each other in collegiate competition. Ironically, FIU was playing Charleston (both of us on the field) when I had a career-ending knee injury tearing all the ligaments in my knee.
Big or small family?
- Big family…. I have two sisters; 7 aunts and uncles and almost 50 cousins….plus my relatives in Italy! On Roger’s side, we have a big big family in Jamaica and in the states.
Do you have any pets?
- I wish…Kai has three goldfish, if that counts.
Favorite soccer team?
Favorite soccer player?
Favorite professional coach?
- Jill Ellis - she has been a great mentor and leader in women’s soccer. I have attended several educational events with Jill and have learned so much from her as a coach and person.
How long have you coached for?
- About 20 years in the Coral Springs and Parkland area.
Are you full-time or part-time with soccer?
- Full time coach and soccer operations director
Favorite sport to watch besides soccer? Other sports you played?
- Gymnastics….as a kid, I was a multi-sport athlete. I loved gymnastics and had a balance beam in my house! Also, I ran track, rowed crew, played ice hockey, and I was also a freestyle swimmer. Soccer was always my favorite sport and came first before the other sports!
Favorite thing to do in free time?
- Spend time with my family Roger, Kai and Kobi- play board games; also with my mom and dad, sisters and cousins. I love to laugh and spend quality time with close friends and family. I also love to travel.
Who’s your favorite athlete?
- Kobi Bryant because of his “Mamba Mentality”
What was your first job? When did you have it?
- Environmental Protection Specialist with the Broward County Department of Environmental Protection. Prior to becoming a full time coach, I worked in our community to educate the citizens on protecting our drinking water, calculating greenhouse gas emissions from government and community emissions and educating the community on how to reduce our carbon footprint. I also would go to schools in the County and educate the students on protecting our environment.
Do you prefer to cook or eat out?
- Eat out at healthy restaurants.
What’s your favorite meal?
- Cedar plank salmon and I love salads!
What is your favorite type of foreign food?
- Jamaican… I love Escovietched Fish and spicy food
What is your favorite holiday and why?
- Christmas because it’s a time of coming together with family and friends - to celebrate life and remember those who came before us. I also love to give gifts.
Favorite TV Series?
- I don’t really watch TV, but I like the home makeover shows!
Best country you’ve visited, why?
- Jamaica…The People…The Culture…The Vibes….The Food….My Family…There is beauty in all of it and even though some are in difficult situations, there is a huge sense of community and willingness to share.